Ready to act
There’s a common saying in Indiana – if you don’t like the weather, wait five minutes and it will change. The unpredictability of the weather in our area can mean volatile changes that come with little warning. Severe storms, straight-line winds, tornadoes, flooding, freak snow and ice storms – all of these events are common here and can result in major property damage and loss of life.
- Nationally, 2011 was a record year for weather and climate disasters with 99 major disasters declared. Twelve of these events cost over 1 billion dollars each. The total cost in damages for the year was almost 52 billion dollars.
- One disaster alone, the tornado outbreak of May 2011, killed 158 people in Joplin, Missouri and caused damages of more than 9 billion dollars.
- Funding from FEMA was made available to 32 counties in Indiana in June 2011 after the President declared a major disaster due to tornadoes, flooding, severe storms and straight line winds.
- In reference to 2011, a director at the National Weather Service is quoted as saying he “couldn’t remember a year like this in which we experienced record-breaking extremes of nearly every conceivable type of weather.”
Obviously, taking a proactive approach to planning for emergencies is critically important. At Landscape Solutions, several members of our staff have chosen to become a part of the Hamilton County Emergency Response Team to help our community in time of crisis. This group of volunteers is trained to assist local police and fire departments by assisting victims in the event of an emergency. If disaster strikes and first responders are overwhelmed, these individuals can provide immediate action to those in need.
As part of our local emergency response team, our staff members have received specialized training through CERT (Community Emergency Response Team.) The goal of CERT is to educate people about disaster preparedness and train them in basic response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization and disaster medical operations.
Responding to our clients in an emergency
As a client of Landscaping Solutions, we would like you to benefit from the education and experience we have received through our emergency training. Our staff is available to speak to your organization on how to be prepared for weather events like floods, tornados and snowstorms or other emergencies like fire or blackouts. Having the knowledge to be able to help yourself in an emergency situation offers peace of mind for your business and your customers.
In the event that your organization needs help following an actual emergency, we are able to offer the following assistance:
- Dispatch a trained, experienced crew and the heavy equipment necessary to clear downed trees and debris on streets, common areas, pathways, etc.
- Coordinate the utility shut-offs necessary for your specific property (electricity, gas, water) as well as work with our partners to provide other required services (plumbers, tree service, etc.)
- Help to coordinate these services to every one of your locations throughout central Indiana.
With one call to Landscape Solutions, you can set in motion a process that immediately begins to manage a crisis and get your organization back to normal.
If you would like more information on this unique service we provide, please contact us.
To learn more about preparing for emergency events, visit the following web sites:
U. S. Small Business Administration
American Red Cross